Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Re: Chelsy: A daily dose of West A

Chelsy: A daily dose of West A: West Allegheny High School seemed like a good place to be. Lately it seems like we aren't unable to do anything without being under constant...

Chelsy's post stood out, and I'd thought I should share her blog as one to emulate. However, the real power of blogging is not only to put oneself out there but also respond and generate an ongoing conversation in order to "make sense" of a particular situation.

 I'd like to provide a teacher perspective on how she and other students in general feel scrutinized.  Personally, I think the entire community should become more involved with teenagers’ lives, including teachers.  Knowing what kids are doing is, well, parents’ and teachers’ responsibility, no?  There must be common ground for students to acknowledge that an appropriate level of observation is acceptable and in fact necessary.  I love seeing the excitement from the student section during football games.  Should I turn a blind eye, however, if I suspect foul behavior?  Many times, I feel like I can be more of a teacher outside of school in that the lessons learned aren’t for a measly grade, but life.  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!